Skip to main content

June 15th - How do you say iPad in Spanish?

Image result for toddler with ipad My kids can use my devices just as well as I can. My youngest who is four, has no knowledge of a time before YouTube. Many of the young adults I teach have mastered the new trending social media apps before I even know they exist. I don't feel old, but some days my lack of knowledge and skill with the latest technology says otherwise.

I need to read more chapters like this one because I learn so many new things. I am second to last in the rankings of tech-savvy teachers in my building...but I'm trying. Just this year I learned how to use both Blogger and Google Docs. I haven't mastered them yet, but I have enough proficiency where I can use them somewhat effectively as I learn more.

One thing I never thought about before reading this chapter is how when students use the internet to research a topic, they must first summarize an idea, and/or formulate a question in order to focus their internet search. I will never see internet searches the same way again.

One negative aspect of using technology for instruction is that sometimes its not dependable. In our building, it seems like whenever it rains, the internet is down. Aside from classroom related problems, some students (and on a larger scale, some school districts) may lack access to new technology. I know from my own experience, that adult education classrooms typically don't have the newest technology and many times lack funding to upgrade what they do have.

Still, with all of my doubts and nay saying of technology, I still see the amazing way that social media brings people together. In the chapter it talked about the ability of social media to help us both cross boundaries and experience new ideas and cultures or connect in an e-community to expand our identities to include new communities of their choosing rather than the ones we were born into. This is a wonderful tool for many EL's who are struggling to find a new version of themselves as they learn about a new language and culture.

Comments

  1. A major aspect of growing up as a Generation Z teen or tween is access to technology (it is second nature to many students).

    Even my two year old is very savvy as well and uses our phones to video chat with her grandparents without us initiating the video call. Of course, when I was two (in 1979), folks were mostly using typewriters and landlines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

July 5th- Learning and Loving Literature

 Because second language readers cont have the level of understanding of the English language to anticipate how a sentence should sound or how a story will likely unfold, the process of them reading literature is "slower and more arduous" than that of native English speakers. For this reason, one strategy to help second language readers is to teach them about text structures and the predictability that this knowledge can offer. Second language readers should also be encouraged to chose their own books that are in genres and about subjects that interest them. Along with this agency of choice however should come instruction in how to select a book that is at an appropriate reading level for the student. Finally, it is important to do regular assessments of student reading to offer feedback of their growing skills and to address any student needs for differentiated instruction in a timely manner. As a side note, it is my personal opinion that Accelerated Reader is a pr...

June 20th- Ways to be Gettin' On

 Chapter two gave us an overview of what life was like in Roadville and Trackton. Three things stood out to me from this chapter. First, was the continued description of the importance of Adult Education programs in these communities. In this chapter there were five separate references to Adult Education programs. The next thing that stood out was that it was a common occurrence for people in both communities to begin having children in their teens.This seems to be a barrier that many women in the community face and it also may explain why the Adult Education programs in Roadville and Trackton seem to be filled predominately with women. The last thing that stood out was the desire among the townspeople in both communities to get ahead and do better for themselves and the view that the best way to do this was through schooling and being a hard worker. Ironically, much of what the townspeople learned in school never prepared them for anything they would be doing at the mill and har...

A New Adventure

Hello all. Welcome to summer school 2017!